What do sommeliers do?
Sommeliers are wine stewards who typically work in a restaurant, fine dining establishment, or hotel/resort dining area. They are trained and knowledgeable wine professionals who specialize in all aspects of wine service as well as wine and food pairings.
Typical sommelier responsibilities:
- Creating and maintain a wine and spirits list with the chef and kitchen manager and/or food and beverage director
- Managing inventory of the wine cellar
- Guiding guests through wine and food pairings during their dining experience
- Negotiating purchase pricing with vendors
- Training front of house staff on wine and spirits
Skills hiring managers are looking for:
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high energy work environment
- Effective communication
- Quick and creative problem-solving skills
- Basic math skills to manage inventory and budget
- Pleasant and welcoming personality
- Extensive knowledge of wines and spirits
Sommelier positions typically require 2-5 years of experience in dining. Certification as a sommelier may be preferred or even required along with a ServSafe certification depending on the employer hiring.
Possible career paths for sommeliers:
Server – Servers create a dining experience for each guest by welcoming them to the restaurant, guiding them through the menu and meal options, and delivering the food and beverages. Servers can work in a restaurant or hotel or resort dining area.
Bartender – If you enjoy focusing on alcoholic beverages, you can work as a bartender where you will create and serve alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages to guests. Bartenders can work in a hotel or resort lounge bar, dining area, or a restaurant or stand-alone bar.
Kitchen Manager – Kitchen managers are responsible for coordination and efficiency of the kitchen operations by ordering inventory, ensuring sanitation and organization, and production quality.
Food and Beverage Director – F&B directors are responsible for maintaining a profitable department with high-quality products and efficiency. F&B directors generate ideas to promote the business and increase revenue.